love

love
my little sis & I

16 February 2010







So this blog was originally intended to be about natural hair. I have been a natural (this time around)since May 2009 which has been, suprisingly nine months. I have been reading tons of blogs and websites about natural hair such as bglhonline.com, leaveinthekinks.com and several blogspot blogs. Since I cannot afford products I would like to use such as Miss Jessies and Kinky Curly I have made some conconctions myself and used some ideas that I got off of others.
I am trying hard to deep condition my hair every week and trim the ends every 6 weeks but it gets a little hard being away at school. This week instead of using my hot oil treatment or cholestrol conditioner under a hooded dryer I chose a more natural option and less used route. I read the blog naturallyfabulous.blogspot.com and came up with this concoction which is a mix of liquid amino acids which have been shown to strengthen my hair and define the curl, as well as honey for moisture(which I was disappointed to find out was fake, but thats what happens when men get your supplies :)) and two raw eggs for added protien.
I was going to cowash my hair with tresemme as seen which I usually do but since I wore this twist out fro-hawk for the past 3 or 4 days I chose to wash my hair with Dr. Bronners peppermint castile soap which is all natural organic hemp soap for hair and body. After I massaged my scalp with it and let it sit for a few minutes I rinsed and applied the egg mix. Since my friends were waiting for me to go to meet the Greek with them and the mixture was really drippy I dodnt want to leave the shower even with a shower cap. I left it on for approx. ten minutes then rinsed with lukewarm water.
When I was done my hair was noticably thicker and the curls were more defined but I think the definition was because I have had my hair in twistouts all weekend and I applied my homemade shea butter mix (shea butter, lavendar oil,coconut oil and tea tree oil) instead of the usual i.c. fantasia gel.
So the frizz wasnt reduced like I expected but I do feel like my hair is a bit stronger. I do believe my hairstyle for this weekend deverves credit though. I started off doing kinky twists because I wanted to wear my hair like that for a week and eventually do a twist out. It wasnt as neat as I wanted so the next day I took it out and fluffed it. I wore it like that for a day or two then brushed the sides into a banana clip to create a fro-hawk effect. I rocked this for a few days, embracing its messy-ness. These few pics you see are from a fraternity-sorority stroll show after-party I attended with a friend :)

--Umoja--Imani-Jennell Ujima

No comments:

Post a Comment